Science & Technology Development
What2Grow using Google Maps & CARTO DB
Farmers in Thailand found it difficult to access crucial agricultural information that enables them to plan their seasonal work and increase their productivity. This vital information is stored in various knowledge centers across the country. The aim of the National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre (NECTEC) was to centralize this information and provide a solution that helped to decrease the negative outcomes of the current system, such as oversupply.
NECTEC has collaborated with various government agencies with the goal of improving farmers’ incomes and overall quality of life.
The What2Grow app has transformed the daily lives of thousands of Thai farmers.
- NECTEC & GoPomelo developed a digital platform for agriculture data integration and data optimization
- CARTO APIs were used to create a web & mobile based maps application to visualize agricultural data across Thailand
- This app greatly helped to improve planning for economic crops, land suitability and connecting to local purchasing
- The project comprises of three main elements: an agricultural-products for replacement model, an e-learning and agriculture database and a weather-monitoring station
- Enables farmers to grow the ‘right’ crops in their areas while taking into account soil type, weather and overall demand for the area
- Thai Farmers are now better informed when making decisions for land suitability when growing crops
- Farmers can use agriculture information to better plan the distribution of their products in their local area
- Greater productivity throughout the Thai agriculture community
- Nationwide press coverage on TV & web news outlets including Channel 3 news
- The project will soon be expanded nationwide.